France’s EDF Renewables said on Wednesday that it has signed the administrative contract for the 440-MW Huanyang offshore wind power project set in Taiwanese waters.
The company’s first offshore wind project in Taiwan, Huanyang came out successful in the first round of the island’s Zonal Development Phase 3 tendering programme December 2022.
EDF Renewables owns an 80.1% stake in the development, while the remaining 19.9% is held by Taiwanese offshore wind developer Taiya Renewable Energy. The pair announced their partnership in August 2022, stating their intent to participate in Taiwan’s offshore wind tender with Huanyang.
With the administrative contract in hand, EDF will accelerate the project development, the company said.
The Huanyang wind farm will be located off the coast of Changhua County at a sea depth ranging between 15 metres and 45 metres. Its bottom-fixed turbines will occupy a surface area spanning around 53 square kilometres.
Huanyang’s future output is estimated at around 1.6 billion kilowatt-hours per year, which will be enough to power some 460,000 households annually.
The partners are targeting grid connection for 2027.