Polestar and Meizu announced a new joint venture, which will aim to strengthen Polestar’s market position in China. There’s still no name for the joint venture company, but Polestar will own 49% of the stake, while Meizu will have the other 51% and will also be responsible for providing the future financing beyond the initial capital from Polestar and Meizu.
The partnership will gravitate around Meizu’s Flyme Auto software for cars as Polestar needs to offer a custom-tailored software for the local consumer. The two companies will work closely together to refine the software and offer deep integration with mobile devices. We are talking apps, entertainment, streaming services and infotainment.
Polestar will send about 130 of its staff to the new joint venture in China to work with Meizu on the Flyme Auto and also on augmented reality, mobile devices and other products related to the ecosystem.
Polestar was quick to point out that it’s still relying on its partnership with Google and will continue using Android Auto for its vehicles sold outside of China.